When is the Summer Intensive?
The 2019 Summer Intensive will take place Mon-Fri from July 8th through August 16th, 9
am to 5pm.
Applicants must be able to commit to the entire program.
Where does the Summer Intensive take place?
Students are placed in a class of 20 students at locations across New York City or Pittsburgh. These host sites are provided by our program partners and have included Google, Oath, Facebook, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Chatham University, University of Pittsburgh, and many others. All Star Code Headquarters will NOT serve as a host!
Students will report to their host site everyday for the entire 6 weeks. Students will also travel to other companies for educational tours on a weekly basis.
Is it really valued at $5000?
Yes! The value 💲 each student receives comes to over $5000 and includes:
- Three instructional staff per 20 students (Lead instructor, Teaching Assistant, and Teaching Fellow - an alumni of the program)
- An onsite coordinator, who handles logistics and communications
- Transportation 🚌 to and from the host site *
- Lunch 🍔 and snacks
- Laptops 💻 are provided, and students who show need may keep their laptops at the end of the program
- Technical education in mobile web development
- Soft Skill education in networking, resume building, presentation and much more!
- Weekly Site Visits (field trips)
* Students will be given a Metrocard (New York City) or ConnectCard (Pittsburgh) for travel to and from the program
Is there a GPA requirement?
No! Our All Stars shine 🌟 in all sorts of ways, and grades are just one way to shine. GPA
is NOT used in our selection process.
We do collect GPA data for our statistics, though!
When will I know if I was accepted into the program?
Applicants can expect a notification of acceptance between 2-6 weeks after applying. We try our
best to process applications quickly.
Seats are limited; the sooner you apply the better chances you have of being selected! 😁
What programming languages are taught?
Students may also learn additional languages for their final projects.
I already know how to code. Am I eligible?
👍🏼 Definitely! You will probably love the Summer Intensive even more if you have this kind
of head start. Please send inquiries to email@example.com,
if you have questions about specific skills.
Can I join the Summer Intensive if I'm not in high school yet?
Our program is specifically designed for current sophomores and juniors in high school. We’d
love to see you at non-SI events throughout the year and welcome your application when you are
I don't go to public school, am I eligible?
Yes! Please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org,
if you have questions about your application.
Will there be a waiting list?
Absolutely! Given the limited number of seats 💺 available, many applicants will qualify for the
program but will not be selected in the first round. Applicants on the waiting list will be
invited to join as spots become available.
What is the application process?
This is the first year All Star Code will be implementing monthly rolling admissions! 🎉
At the end of each month, we will reach out to applicants who show the best chance for success in the Summer Intensive. These ideal candidates will be invited to attend a workshop the following month, which offers both All Star Code and each applicant a chance to get to know each other better.
Final decisions will be made based on applicants' demonstration of All Star Skills. Offers will be sent the following week.
What is your attendance policy?
Given the intensive nature of the program, students must not miss any day during the first week of the program. The first week is a zero-tolerance week.
Day 1: If a student is absent on the first day of the program, July 8th, their seat is forfeit.
A student is considered absent if they are not in the classroom by 10:30am ⏰, even if they show up afterwards. Students with 3 absences will be expelled from the program.
For each absence, the student's Parent/Guardian is informed & the student must attend Office Hours until they are caught up with the missed material.
Three latenesses = 1 Absence
A student is considered late if they are not in the classroom by 9:30am.
What is your expulsion policy?
All Star Code reserves the right to expell students for any of the following reasons:
- Missing any day in the first week
- Having 3 absences
- Using abusive language
- Showing disrespect towards instructors & host site space
- Harrassing, intimidating, or discriminating anyone
All Star Code is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of harassment. We will not tolerate anyone (including students) intimidating, humiliating or sabotaging others in our workplace. We also prohibit wilful discrimination based on age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, racial, religion or disability.
How can I improve my chances? What does it take to be an All Star?
- Respect others
- Demonstrate logical thinking
- Demonstrate growth mindset
- Look up terms they're not familiar with (like "Growth mindset" 😄)
- Embrace "Celebrate Failure" = are hungry to learn by stepping out of their comfort zone
- Embrace "Dare Greatly" = are ready to take risks
- Embrace "Tell Your Story" = can convey ideas clearly and see value in doing so
- Uplift others around them